Sunday, January 15, 2012

Preparation for the Working Week Ahead!

So I did my weekly shopping this morning & have barely left the kitchen since I got home! All in preparation for my working week ahead.

At the office where I work there is a canteen where I could buy a relatively healthy lunch. But I am one of those people that would have the best intentions of getting a chicken & salad wrap, and then I get to the counter and visions of coleslaw & egg mayonnaise take over! So for my own good, I bring lunch and anything else I may need to get me through the day with me. Honestly without it, I wouldn't manage to stay within my points for the day!

So I have made Butternut Squash & Sweet Potato Soup and a fresh fruit salad to bring to work for the week. I've pointed the soup at 2pp per portion of which I got 5 out of this recipe and the fruit salad is 0pp which can only be a good thing! :)

For the soup -
1 Butternut Squash
1 Sweet Potato
1 Carrot
1 Onion
1 Clove garlic
1 tbsp olive oil
1 ltr veg or chicken stock
1 tbsp mixed herbs
Salt & black pepper to taste

Peel & chop all your veg into 1 inch chunks. The best way I have found to tackle a butternut squash is to cut both ends off 1st. Then cut in half. Then you have flat surfaces to work from to peel. Put one of the halves flat side down on the counter and peel with a knife downwards. When that's done, cut in half downwards again. Then scoop out the inside with a spoon, much easier & safer than a knife. Then chop away to your hearts content :)
Heat the oil in a large pot on low- medium heat. Add the onion and grate in the garlic. You can finely chop your garlic either, I just find it easier to grate straight into the pot. Let soften stirring occasionally for approx 5 mins. Add your herbs, salt & pepper and stir. After another minute you can add all your other veg, toss everything around together in the pot so all the flavours rub onto each other. Then add a ltr of veg or chicken stock and stir.
Place a lid on your pot, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 mins. When done, put into a blender and blend until smooth. This will keep well for at least 3 days refrigerated. Simples! :-)

For my fruit salad I simply chopped kiwi, apples and pears. I added in tinned pineapple chunks and peach slices, both in fruit juice not syrup. Stir to mix & then squeeze the juice of a lemon or lime over your fruit and toss to coat everything in the juice. This will prevent from browning. This will also keep well for at least 3 days refrigerated. Enjoy!

Am loving the iWatcher app by the way! Fabulous that once you have pointed something it's saved to your favourites so that you never have to point it again! Anything for an easy life I say! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment